Monday, October 01, 2007

Meticulous Grannies


On my way home from school today I noticed quite a few old ladies outside of their houses sweeping, dusting and otherwise tidying up the streets, culverts, and other items near where they lived. Most of them look like they are in the 100s, gray as pencil lead. They are hunched over with a back that looks more like a humpback whale, than a human being, but they are working like ants in an ice cream shop, cleaning up their area.

It's crazy, they sweep in places where there is no dirt. One lady in particular was bent over on her hands and knees going to town on the concrete ditch line near her house, and basically was sweeping so hard she was removing the top later of grime that had settled. I have to hand it to them, they certainly do work hard, but I just wonder, why they do it almost every day? I mean it is the same old ladies I see over and over outside, nearly every day. It sure makes for a very tidy neighborhood, almost too clean for my tastes. It's like they have some sort of obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) for cleaning around their house.

I wonder if I'll come to be like them when I hit the 80, 90 or even century mark? I can certainly think of worse ways to spend my old age.

No comments: